I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that we've officially lost our marbles and there is no way that this is a real treatment. I thought the same thing when I first heard of wet sock treatment, and I was actually quite resistant to even try it. But one night I was desperate for something to make a difference when my kid was fevering, and I was amazed at the results!
How could something so simple possibly make such a difference? Well, the simple explanation is that your body reacts to the cold socks by increasing blood circulation, which stimulates the immune system. It also reflexively decreases congestion and pain in the upper respiratory passages, head, and throat as it draws circulation toward the feet.
Wet sock treatment can be effectively used for ear infections, croup, teething, dental infections, fever, sore throats, sinus congestion, and headaches.
WET SOCK TREATMENT:
- Take a thin pair of cotton socks; run them under cold tap water.
- Wring them out well, so that they are not dripping, but damp.
- Warm your feet well with a hot foot bath- or a nice warming ginger bath!
- Dry your warm feet, then pull the cool, wet socks on.
- Cover the wet cotton socks with a pair of dry wool socks.
- Leave this combination of socks on overnight, or until the wet socks are dry.
If you have any questions regarding this or other home therapies, please contact our office at 435-586-4854!