If you're like most parents, trying to get everyone up, dressed, fed, and out the door on time can be chaotic. Your morning sets the tone for your entire day. If things starts off stressful and you already feel behind, it can feel impossible to catch up.
There are, however, a number of ways you can make mornings go a little bit smoother. Here are our best tips for creating a stress-free start to the school day.
Here are our tips for smoother, less stressful mornings:
Prepare the night before.
A great morning starts the evening before. Doing a few minutes of prep at night helps keep morning stress down. If your kids are old enough, they can be involved in a lot of this!
- Check tomorrow's schedule and weather. Set out weather appropriate clothing and necessary instruments/dance clothes/sports equipment/etc.
- Make sure your children’s clothing is picked out, shoes & socks are where they belong, and backpacks are packed and ready to go.
- Speaking of clothes: if you have a toddler who hates changing clothes, you may want to just dress them in their clean outfit the night before. This saves you from having to fight a battle over pants in the morning.
- Put lunches together while you're fixing dinner- this way, you'll only have one post-meal cleanup. Think about your breakfast plans at this time as well, and do any prep you can now to save time in the morning.
- Set out tomorrow's vitamins. Whether you're using a daily vitamin dispenser or a small cup with each child's name written on it, make sure you're giving your kids the supplements they need to think clearly and fight off all those germs they encounter in their school hallway.
- Plan transportation. Whether they're taking the bus, carpooling, riding with you/your partner/your teenage driver/etc, or walking with friends, make sure you know how everyone is getting to their scheduled activities in advance.
- Get everyone to bed early. You are doing your child a HUGE favor if you prioritize their sleep. You are setting them up for a much better day at school if they are well-rested.
Make your Morning Great.
A smooth, peaceful morning routine can create a fantastic day. A good morning routine is a great way to start your day off with a smile.
- Have some mom time. Get up 15 to 30 minutes before your crew so you'll have time to read, journal, shower and put on your makeup without an audience, or just sit and have a peaceful cup of coffee.
- Set an alarm using your kid's favorite song. Who doesn't love waking up to a good jam?! Set one alarm to wake them up, and another to dance your way out the door on time!
- Take your vitamins. Prioritize your health by making a big glass of water and your daily vitamins part of your morning routine. Many of our customers actually set a daily alarm on their phone to help them remember this important part of their morning routine.
- Keep a freezer stash for the occasional "running-late" mornings. Zucchini muffins, banana bread, breakfast burritos, and pre-made smoothie packs all freeze well and are a great grab-and-go option for those mornings when you're just running low on time.
- Turn off the technology. TV, phones, and tablets can all be a big distraction for you and your kids as you're trying to get everyone ready for the day.
- Simplify your kid's beauty routine. Braid long hair the night before to reduce tangles in the morning, and avoid morning bathroom congestion by storing brushes and hair bands in the kitchen (where you usually end up using them anyways).
- Give an extra 15 minutes to get in the car. Anyone with toddlers knows that most distractions seem to occur between the front door and the car door.
- Serve breakfast in to-go containers with lids. This way if your child doesn't have time to eat at the table, your child can continue eating in the car on the way to school, or when he arrives at school.
- Share confidence and a positivity! Not every day is perfect, but a good attitude can go a long way. Make sure you share a smile and a hug with your children when they first wake up and as they're walking out the door to start their day off right.
We hope that you have a fantastic school year and some really wonderful mornings! Did we forget anything that makes your morning great? Leave us a comment!