Many of my customers and friends have been asking for my advice regarding the current Corona virus that is sweeping across the world. We have seen responses ranging from extreme fear and hoarding to skepticism and profiteering. While we have seen some disdainful human behavior, we have also seen the beauty of neighborhood support, fierce protection of our medically fragile communities, and the bright steadfastness of the human spirit.
I want to share with you my thoughts and recommendations for keeping your family safe and healthy as this disease works its way across the Unites States, and I hope that in doing so you are able to support those around you who are immunocompromised or medically fragile.
First of all, let's talk about the importance of reducing contagion. Your first defense against any illness is to avoid contamination. I know it may seem trite, but frequent hand washing really is the simplest way to avoid disease transmission.
The importance of a strong immune system cannot be underestimated. Stay hydrated, get plenty of sleep, move your body daily, reduce stress wherever possible, and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
As far as preventative nutrition goes, there are plenty of herbal and nutritional supplements that can help boost your immune system to reduce the severity and duration of any illness that comes along. The best offense is a good defense, as they say.
- Zinc - Did you know that zinc has been studied for it's ability to prevent pneumonia and reduce severity of respiratory viruses? This nutrient should be an essential part of any family's daily regimen right now.
- Vitamin D - Vitamin D sort of works like a light switch in your body, turning on your immune system and allowing your body to fight bacteria before it can develop into a full-blown disease.
- Vitamin C - One of the most well known treatments for illness, Vitamin C has many well-documented studies showing its ability to prevent infections caused by bacteria and viruses.
- Beta Carotene - Your body converts Beta Carotene to Vitamin A, which actually protects and strengthens your mucous membranes (mouth, eyes, nose), which are your first line of defense against bacteria.
- L-Lysine - L-Lysine is an amino acid that inhibits the proliferation of viruses and strengthens the body’s connective tissue, providing a barrier against bacteria and viruses.
- Probiotics - Your gut wall houses 70% of the cells that are responsible for immune system function. A healthy intestine creates a healthy body!
- Immune Strengthen (also available in glycerin) - This product was specifically created as an anti-viral and powerful immune-boosting formula. While I don't generally recommend daily intake of formulas that contain Echinacea and Astragalus for longer than 2 weeks, now would definitely be an exception.
- Garlic - Garlic not only kills viruses and bacteria, it also boosts immune system function.
The following herbs and supplements are helpful for treating fever and respiratory illness at home.
- Ginger - An ayurvedic herb valued for its respiratory benefits, ginger is easy to obtain and beneficial to take. A ginger bath or ginger tea can quickly reduce a fever, soothe achy joints, and clear the sinuses.
- Thyme - Thyme relaxes tiny muscles in the bronchial tubes, making it an excellent remedy for a persistent cough. It is also anti-inflammatory and antibacterial.
- Bio Defense - This formula is a must-have for any household during cold & flu season, and especially now. Bio defense is formulated to boost immune system function, reduce severity and duration of symptoms, and fight bacteria and viruses.
- Breathe Easy - Another essential to have on hand, this formula is specifically for combating respiratory illness.
- Respiratory Combat - We love diffusing this essential oil blend to kill airborne bacteria, strengthen the immune system, and relieve symptoms of respiratory illness.
- Flu Buster - This formula was created to reduce fever and shorten the duration and severity of flu and flu like illnesses.
- Onions - I've never encountered a respiratory illness in my own home that didn't respond to an onion poultice. It always kept me from having to take a midnight trip to the ER with a sick kid.
I hope that these tools help you feel confident and prepared for whatever happens in your home and your community. Please continue to take care of yourself and each other.